Bite-sized knowledge for the hungrily curious

Is “combobulated” a word?

The Answer

Not really. Although you do find it in some dictionaries.

It is a “back-formation”

back-formation ˈbak-fȯr-ˈmā-shən
1: a word formed by subtraction of a real or supposed affix from an already existing longer word (such as burgle from burglar)

Back-formation | Definition of Back-formation by Merriam-Webster

Other Examples of Back-Formations

  • burgle from burglar
  • fluoresce from fluorescence
  • kidnap from kidnapper
  • liaise from liaison
  • orientate from orientation
  • quantitate from quantitative
  • swashbuckle from swashbuckler


Rate This Biscuit

Average rating / 5. Vote count:

No ratings so far! Be the first to rate this wisdom biscuit.

As you found this post useful...

Follow us on social media!